My name is Joey Davis and I am the Golf Course Superintendent here at Deep Springs Country Club. If you are visiting this blog for the first time, I want to thank you for checking out what we do here in Turf Care. This is a thankless job and I like to shed a shimmer of light on the guys that pour their heart and sweat into this course. To catch you up on a little about me I have outlined some things below that will give you an idea of who I am.
- Shannon and I were married in April of 2011. However, we have been together for over 12 years.
- Shannon is an elementary school teacher with a master’s +30 in Elementary Education. She is in her 9th year of teaching and looks forward to teaching in North Carolina.
- I’m originally from Denmark, South Carolina(an hour south of Columbia) and grew up on a dairy farm. I first started working on a golf course when I was stationed in Norfolk, Va., onboard the USS ENTEPRRISE(CVN-65). I worked periodically when I wasn’t out to sea at Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg. I have spent 13 years now working on a golf course and 9 of those years being on a course full-time.
- My last position was as golf course superintendent at Sunset Country Club in Moultrie, GA(60 miles north of Tallahassee, FL). I brought the club a long way agronomically and financially in my short time there. Prior to Sunset, I spent the majority of my time in South Carolina from Charleston to Columbia. I have a lot of experience on ultradwarf bermuda greens and I look forward to getting acquainted with the greens at Deep Springs.
- I’m very involved in local, regional, and national turfgrass conferences and events. I’m a member of the Piedmont Golf Course Superintendents Association, Carolinas Golf Course Superintendents Association, Georgia Golf Course Superintendents Association, and the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America. In 2015, I was selected to the 10th Anniversary Green Start Academy presented by Bayer and John Deere. I was selected for one of fifty spots through an application process where I competed against assistant superintendents throughout North America. I was extremely honored to be selected and the knowledge and experienced I received has helped my career tremendously. Also, it was a great networking opportunity to meet some of the best at what we do and I’m fortunate to still be in touch with a lot of them today.
- Speaking of networking, I like to volunteer(if work allows) at tournaments and in the past I have worked some of golf’s greatest venues and tournaments. Just to name a few, those tournaments include The Masters at Augusta National, Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow, THE PLAYERS at TPC Sawgrass, and many other tournaments throughout the Carolinas and Georgia. I look forward to continuing to volunteer(if work allows) in the future and more importantly to represent Deep Springs Country Club. Some of the practices that I use today come from some of the tournaments I’ve worked.
- I am a Class B Superintendent and am also a licensed pesticide applicator in North Carolina.
I hope this gives you an idea about me and my background. If we haven’t met, I definitely look forward to getting to know you. We have an awesome Ellis Maples classic here at Deep Springs and I am excited about the future of Deep Springs. I make weekly posts on the golf course on this blog and what we have going on that particular week. So, buckle in and enjoy the ride!